Saturday, June 23, 2007

Fadwa Abulughod_John Sexton.

My emulation:


These are two photographs by John Sexton. I really admire his pictures mainly because he can make pictures so vivid and beautiful without the use of color. I like photos relating to nature and that is why his pictures caught my attention. He has been photographing for many decades and has his work in several books he published. I now admire black and white pictures over colored because black and white helps the viewer study the picture more and it's subject rather than having all the attention be fixated on the color. Sexton also uses light to help make his pictures so beautiful. I really enjoyed looking at his work and I will hopefully enjoy emulating it. =]

Original photograph by John Sexton:

I decided to also use trees as my subject and I wanted to make my picture as similar as possible because I really loved Sexton's use of black and white. I tried taking the pictures in color so I could have the chance to photoshop it to black in white to my liking. I also decided to take the same picture immediately in black and white so I could compare the pictures and choose the best one to emulate with. I found a tree stump that was damaged and decided to take a picture of it in black and white because it looked much more interesting than taking it in color. Whereas when I took it in color, I could identify what it was easily, diminishing the interesting quality of it. In my opinion, taking a photo in black and white helps the viewer study the photo more which makes the picture much more interesting to look at then looking at it in color. Don't get me wrong, color is a beautiful aspect to photography but I would much rather view the subject of the photograph then the color of it.

No comments: